OIT HelpDesk - Knowledge Base
How do I connect my Xbox or Xbox 360 to ResNet?
Although gaming devices are allowed on the student network, The Office of Information Technology does NOT provide technical support for any such devices. In order to attach your gaming device to the network, you will need to manually register your device.
How to Register your Xbox or Xbox 360:
In order to attach your gaming device to the network, you have two options.
- If your device is has a web browser, navigate to http://netreg.utk.edu/ after connecting to the network. Click on Register Your Computer and follow the instructions.
- If your device does not have a web browser, you can submit your request from the web browser on your computer. Go to http://netreg.utk.edu/games/ and follow the instructions.
Before registering your device, you will need to know the MAC address of your system.
The MAC Address is a 12-digit identifier containing both letters and numbers. If you do not know your MAC address, you can try following the instructions below. As stated earlier, we do not provide technical support for these devices and if these instructions do not work, you will need to contact the manufacturer, NOT the HelpDesk.
Xbox - Finding your MAC address
- Turn off your Xbox console.
- Connect one side of your Ethernet cable into the wall jack and the other side into your Xbox console.
- You might have to insert your Live DVD into the disk tray. This will update your Xbox with the Xbox Live option. After doing this step you want to eject the CD and restart your Xbox.
- From the Xbox Dashboard choose Xbox Live. Or, play a game on your Xbox Live Starter Kit disc and choose the option for Xbox Live play.
- Next you need to choose network setup from the Live Xbox menu.
- At the lower right corner of the screen you should see a "Mac" address, which consists of combination of 12 numbers and letters.
Xbox 360 - Finding your MAC address
To locate the MAC address of your Xbox 360 console:
- Go to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard and select Network Settings.
- Select Edit Settings.
- From Additional Settings, select Advanced Settings.
- At the bottom of this screen you'll see a heading called Wired MAC Address.