OIT HelpDesk - Knowledge Base
How do I change my OIT account passwords?
NetID/Active Directory(AD) Password
Your NetID/AD password is used to authenticate on such systems as your UTK Email, Blackboard, and MyUTK. For most users, your NetID/AD password expires every 180 days. Special password polices have been assigned to users with specific needs and these accounts will expire on an adjusted schedule.
Once your NetID/AD password is changed, it will take 15 minutes for the new password to take effect.
Be advised: You will need to log out of all applications and devices connecting to your account before changing your password. If you have any program or device that stores your password, you will need to update that password before trying to log in again.
If you know your Windows computer authenticates using the UTK Active Directory*, follow these instructions.
1. From your computer, hold the Ctrl-Alt-Delete buttons
2. Choose the option to Change Your Password
3. Enter your old password to authenticate, then enter and verify your new password.*If these instructions apply to you, OIT recommends that you only change your password while on-campus.
If you know your password and are unsure if your computer is in Active Directory, follow these instructions.
- Go to the NetID Password Change site.
- Type in your NetID and password.
- You will be prompted to change your NetID password and to verify the new password.
- Please check the box under this that you agree to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy.
If you have forgotten your NetID/AD password or if it has expired, instructions on how to reset it are available online. Are you having trouble logging back in after changing your password?
If so, you may be locked out. Instructions for unlocking your account are available online.
Your UNIX password is used to access your online web storage account.
Your UNIX password expires every 180 days. If you know your UNIX password and want to change it, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://ds.utk.edu/passwords.
- Click on Manage UNIX password.
- Under Change Password, click on Change UNIX password.
- Please login with your UNIX username and password.
- You will then be prompted to reset your UNIX password.
**Once the UNIX password is reset successfully, please wait 15 minutes before trying to login.
If you have forgotten your UNIX password, please contact the OIT HelpDesk by phone at (865) 974-9900 or visit the Walk-In HelpDesk in the Commons in Hodges Library. Photo ID will be required if you visit the Walk-In HelpDesk.