OIT HelpDesk - Knowledge Base
How do I access the Network Connect VPN?
OIT is now distributing new VPN (Virtual Private Network) clients for both Mac OS X and Windows. The new client that will be recommended by OIT is called Pulse Secure. Windows 7, 8, and 10, and Mac OS X 10.8 and above, are all supported by the latest version of the Pulse Secure Client. OIT has also made an older version of the client available for Mac OS 10.7 and below. Pulse Secure is available for download from the VPN section of the OIT Software Download Site and configuration instructions are available in the OIT Knowledge Base at https://help.utk.edu/kb/entry/2544.
You can use the VPN to access applications behind the UT firewall, such as T-Storage, connect to your workstation or server on campus via Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), or activate the UT licenses for Microsoft Office and Windows.
The legacy Network Connect client will remain available through the http://access.utk.edu portal, however it is only recommended for Linux users at this time.
- Navigate your browser to https://access.utk.edu.
- Log in with your NetID and Password.
- Under Client Application Sessions, click Start next to Network Connect.
- Windows: If prompted to Run the Java Application, click Do not show this again for apps from the publisher and location above, then click Run.
Mac: If prompted to install Java SE 6, install, then relaunch your browser and go back to Step 1 above.
- If prompted to download, install, and/or execute software from the following server, click Always to grant access to the Network Connect client.
- Windows: Once connected, the Network Connect icon should appear in the task tray. You can right-click this icon to display options.
Right-click the Network Connect icon and chose Basic View to see your VPN connection. You can also disconnect from the VPN here by clicking Sign Out.
Mac: Once Connected, the Network Connect icon should appear in your Applications folder. Double-click to launch; click the Dock icon to display connection options.
- Once you have installed the Network Connect VPN client, you can launch the client without going through the access.utk.edu site by clicking on the Network Connect icon from you Start Menu (Windows) or Applications folder (Mac).
- Once connected to the Network Connect VPN client, you may now use applications behind the UT firewall, such as T-Storage, connect to your workstation or server on campus via Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), or activate the UT licenses for Microsoft Office and Windows.