OIT HelpDesk - Knowledge Base
How do I configure SSH or SFTP clients for Linux/Volweb?
After you have created a Linux account, you can log in to the Linux server using the below information with any SSH client (e.g., PuTTY, Mac OS Terminal) or SFTP client (e.g., WinSCP, Cyberduck or FileZilla, Dreamweaver). Instructions for each are below.
- Host: linux.oit.utk.edu
- Port: 22
- Username: NetID
- Password: Your NetID Password
**If you are prompted to accept a new host key during any of the configurations, select Yes, OK, or Allow.
Enter the server information as shown below and click Open. At the login as: prompt enter your NetID and hit Enter/Return. Next, enter your NetID password and hit Enter/Return.
Mac OS Terminal
In an open Terminal command shell, enter "ssh email@example.com" and enter your NetID password when prompted.
Enter the Host name and your NetID/password information as shown below. Click Save As so save this connection for future access.
Click Open Connection, select the SFTP dropdown, then enter the linux.oit.utk.edu server name and your NetID and password information as shown below and click Continue.
- Go to File > Site Manager
- Click New Site and enter the information as shown below and click Connect.
Enter the hostname and username/password information as shown below, select SFTP for Connect using and click Connect.
- Go to the Site menu and select New Site.
- On the Site tab, enter your Site Name and select a Local Site Folder.
- On the Server tab, click the + and enter the information as shown below:
- Click Save.